Fresno Yosemite International Airport Kicks Off
Seventh Annual Holiday Music Program
Fresno, CA (November 21, 2023) – The sounds of the season resonate at Fresno Yosemite International Airport with today’s launch of the Seventh Annual Holiday Music Program with performances now through December 31 by a talented lineup of local pianists and musicians.
As part of the Airport’s Arts & Culture Program, pianists will entertain travelers in airline boarding areas with live musical compositions performed on a Grand Piano in partnership with Steinway Piano Gallery of Fresno. Travelers and guests will enjoy additional live musical performances throughout the season by Mariachi Tenochtitlan and the Ericson Elementary School Choir.
“This music program is intended to enhance the passenger experience by creating an atmosphere of holiday cheer and hospitality during the holidays,” said Director of Aviation Henry Thompson. “Since the initial launch in 2017, the program continues to be well-received, and we appreciate the comments from passengers about how this music program has positively impacted their travels.”
This year’s lineup includes five pianists and local musicians with impressive musical backgrounds who enjoy sharing their passion for music with others.
- Eliza Hakobyan comes from a family of talented musicians and started playing the piano and guitar at the age of five. Eliza has performed in her church orchestra and as a member of the Fresno State Youth Orchestra. She currently teaches music lessons in piano, violin, guitar and vocal as well as performs with bands at various musical venues.
- Andrea Daw began playing the piano for her father’s Sunday church service at the age of seven. Andrea’s life revolved around music. She has received several vocal awards with the highlight of her musical years performing as a guest soprano soloist for the Spokane Junior Symphony for two consecutive years. She was a 3rd place finalist with the Western Regional Meroela Division of the Metropolitan Opera. Most of her time nowadays is playing for local churches. Sharing her love for music with others, Andrea teaches piano to students of all ages.
- Karey Nickel has performed as a musician and actor since he was a child. After obtaining a Master of Arts in classical piano, Karey formed his own family band and went on to tour and perform as a recording artist for 15 years in churches and venues across the country. He has played the lead in numerous Shakespeare plays and recorded CDs as part of a men’s quartet. His musical experience in Fresno includes being on worship staff of some local churches, and performing as Harold Hill in the musical production, ‘The Music Man’ at Roger Rocka’s Theater. Karey is about to go on a 2-month tour of the Caribbean as a piano lounge entertainer on board the cruise ship NCL Pearl.
- A neo-soul and Jazz aficionado, Ike Tecson spent the early part of his post-graduate years from the University of Hawaii touring Japan and performing at popular music venues such as the Sapporo Jazz Festival, Birdland, and the Yokohama Music Festival. In his hometown of Kaneohe, Hawaii, he opened for Bon Jovi and the Black-Eyed Peas while backing up rock guitarist Mike Corrado. Recently, Ike performed with the Neil Berg Broadway series. Ike performs with the Ike Sessions Group and the Jazz Cru Quintet at various venues throughout the Central Valley.
- Adeline Simms has garnered multiple years of experience as both an educator and performer. Adeline is the founder of highly Favored Music Center LLC, an entity which provides music programs and mentoring for underserved residents of Fresno ranging from youth to seniors with an emphasis on the Black Community. Currently, Adeline is one of the accompanists for the Fresno Pacific University production of Langston Hughes’ Black Nativity.
- Mariachi Tenochtitlan was founded in 1996, in Fresno, California, with musicians originally from Jalisco, Michoacán, and Zacatecas, residing in the San Joaquin Valley. Mariachi Tenochtitlan has performed across California, Arizona, and Nevada; including performances in Las Vegas and at the International Mariachi and Charreria Festival in Guadalajara, Jalisco, the birthplace of mariachi, in September 2004. Mariachi Tenochtitlan is a proud participant, since its foundation, of the ¡Viva Mariachi! Festival sponsored by Radio Bilingue, and workshops that take place at California State University, Fresno. Mariachi Tenochtitlan is committed to preserving their traditions through Mexican folkloric music.
Live musical performances are scheduled during peak flight times to entertain a wide audience. The schedule also includes performances during the busy late-night domestic and international departures.
Fresno Yosemite International Airport – Fresno Yosemite International Airport (FAT) is one of the largest drivers in economic activity in the Central San Joaquin Valley. Domestic and international carriers serving FAT offer Valley travelers daily nonstop flights to Chicago (December 21, 2023 – January 8, 2024), Dallas Fort Worth, Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Portland, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Guadalajara, León, and Morelia in Mexico and soon Atlanta (June 2024) and Dallas Love Field (June 2024).
Fresno Yosemite International Airport and Fresno Chandler Executive Airport are municipally owned entities operating as a self-supporting enterprise.
Like us on facebook.com at iflyfresno or follow us on Twitter @iflyfresno and Instagram @iFlyFresno or visit our website at www.flyfresno.com .
# # #