Airport Sets Record Passenger Growth in First Quarter 2018
Fresno, CA (May 10, 2018) Fresno Yosemite International Airport accommodated 367,278 passengers during the first quarter of 2018, a 10.3 percent increase in domestic and international passenger traffic over the same period in 2017, a record first quarter for the airport.
International passenger traffic grew an impressive 10.6 percent. Fresno Yosemite International Airport is currently ranked fourth in the nation for carrying passengers between Fresno and Guadalajara, Mexico. Similarly, domestic passenger traffic grew 10.2 percent compared to the first quarter in 2017.
“The strong passenger traffic reflects our airline partners’ confidence in the Fresno market and is demonstrated by recent transitions to larger aircraft, expanded flight frequencies and the launch of service to new destinations,” said Director of Aviation Kevin Meikle. “We appreciate the support from our community and Central California’s travelers for choosing Fresno Yosemite International Airport as their gateway to the world.”
Air service development activities resulted in substantial increases in passenger volume triggered by expanded flight frequencies and the launch of service to new destinations such as:
- United Airlines adding daily mainline service to San Francisco operated with a 166 seat Boeing 737 aircraft.
- Volaris offering new nonstop service to Morelia, Mexico three times a week.
- American Airlines increasing flight frequencies to Los Angeles from three daily departures to five.
- United Airlines increasing daily departures on United Airlines to Los Angeles from two flights to four.
- Alaska Airlines seasonal adjustment adding a third daily departure to San Diego.
Fresno Yosemite International Airport is expected to continue the growth trend with the start of new scheduled air service and seasonal adjustments offered by the domestic and international carriers.
New airline choices, expanded flight and destination options for travelers flying through Fresno Yosemite International Airport this summer include:
- Frontier Airlines nonstop flights to Denver three times a week starting May 22.
- Daily nonstop service to Chicago on United Airlines beginning June7.
- Twice daily flights to Las Vegas on Mondays and Thursdays on Allegiant beginning June 1.
- Twice daily departures to Guadalajara, Mexico beginning June 16 on Volaris.
- Daily service to Guadalajara, Mexico on AeroMexico starting June 1.
Fresno Yosemite International Airport currently offers Valley passengers daily non-stop flights to Dallas, Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Portland, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, and Guadalajara and Morelia, Mexico on domestic and international carriers. Fresno Yosemite International Airport is a municipally owned entity operating as a self-supporting enterprise. No City of Fresno general funds are used to operate Fresno Yosemite International Airport or Fresno Chandler Executive Airport.
# # #